The Head, Medical Affairs, is a leadership position within the organization and will provide vision and execution of key scientific materials, medical strategy, medical education, and medical information related to marketed products. The role and responsibilities include leading the ad the Medical Affairs in-house and field-based teams focused on Medical Affairs activities related to branded products, generic products, and products from the divisions of Animal Health. This leadership position will report to the Vice President, Chief Medical Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic medical and administrative leadership for US Medical Affairs activities including disease education, national, regional, and local scientific exchange, and operations.
- The leadership of a team and collaborative engagements with business partners for new product development and launches, approval of promotional materials for scientific meetings, symposia, and other continuing medical education activities, in accordance with policies and practices.
- Provide leadership and progress effective communication for team and partners, inclusive of identifying strategic medical engagements with national opinion leaders, compliance with quality assurance improvement, and management of grants, investigator-initiated studies, and cost center oversight.
- Ensure the plan, coordination, control, and continuous improvement of content, processes, and methods to assure time-bound data dissemination and field-based activities for marketed products.
- Serve as primary lead in determination and review of scientific materials for data dissemination and be expected to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and nimble environment with needs for managing external vendors and consultants.
- Ensure quality, accuracy, objectivity, relevance, and effectiveness of medical and scientific materials, information, and data used in communicating with healthcare professionals, medical and scientific opinion leaders, and advocates.
- Provide accurate, efficient clinical and technical information for Iron Franchise and Multisource products.
- Develop and implement Medical Affairs training and programs in preparation for product launches and ongoing education needs.
- Represent the company at US medical meetings, advisory boards, outreach meetings at key institutes, and in interactions with key opinion leaders.
- Assist in the development of new claims for key brand products and approval of unapproved products.
- Challenge competitor advertising as appropriate.
- Lead strategy and inform on patient-reported outcomes and health outcome studies associated with lifecycle management for branded and generic products.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Medical degree, preferably with active license, or Life Science PhD with extensive prior Medical Affairs expertise.
- Eight or more years in pharmaceutical industry with prior role and responsibilities in medical affairs and strong evidence of leadership and effective communication skills.
- Excellent scientific and personal communication skills with strong ability to be liaison between the Clinical Research and Development and Marketing teams.
- Deep experience in review and processes of investigator-sponsored trials, medical information, medical letters, data dissemination plans, and medical research strategy.
- Strong leadership potential
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Ability to travel 20-25% of time to national meetings, presentations, and speaking engagement